Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mine Language

Literally translated Mine Language means Bahasa Saya and Bahasa Kita is the plural of it, which is Our Language.
As much as my Bahasa and English is good, i still cannot figure out how they want to implement the English part into our education system.
I am still confused over the whole thing.
I know some have resorted to taking a neutral stance towards the whole thing.

This morning i was trying to remember, how i learnt to speak English?
I do remember singing the Nursery Rhymes like Baa Baa Black Sheep, Humpty Dumpty, London Bridge and what not. I do remember many Nursery Rhymes in Bahasa Melayu like. Bangun Pagi gosok gigi, tom tom bak and what not.
I know that the Malay part comes naturally.
Only my late father speaks and write in English. My mother only in Malay and Jawi, the Arabic Malay.
I was trying to remember an occasion in my Primary school days when i spoke in English to another classmate of mine..well guess what, i cannot remember!!!

I remember that i can read and write and speak English as early as Std One or Two.
I remember reading Beano and Dandy comics as early as Std One and being exposed to these comics even before my primary school days...

I remember speaking in an Elocution contest when i was in Standard Six.
But i cannot remember using English to speak to another friend of mine or even my family?

Likewise in my Secondary school, i do not quite remember speaking so much in English other than in the class, i.e. using English as a means of communications.
I was merely using English in my reading part and also in watching tv.

Come to think of it, my longest session in using English whilst conversing was in England and whilst i was lecturing at the Armed Forces Staff College, where we had students from overseas.

Most of the time my spoken English in full sentences is very limited not because of anything else but more of convenience and circumstances....

With so many subtitles on tv, it do disturb my concentartion on the spoken English, because the eye sees faster than what we hear...

Because of all these, Mine Language is a mixture of Malay and English and i dare say that i am good at it.
Like it or not, i do not have any other choice but to use Mine Language or Bahasa Saya...
What's Your Language?

2 comments:

abdulhalimshah said...

AOF,
My recollection of early introduction to English was in Special Malay One. The series of " Reader's Books" was those with pictures and the stories below it, like " Look and Read ".
Somehow we learn't English quickly because our class teacher were non-Malays and one Mrs. Chong wore high-slit cheongsam. Probably that's why we learn't faster than others.

Queen Of The House said...

Salam, Abg Din. Lama tak dengar berita. How are you?

Mine Language? Sounds like broken English to me. My Language is more like it.

How lucky we were .... even if not widely used then, we were taught English the right way and rightly taught, too. Kids nowadays .... sometimes even the teachers don't understand what they are teaching and can't speak proper English.